Laboratory of Oenology Colaço do Rosário
Laboratory dedicated to teaching, research and services
Maria João Pires de Bastos Cabrita
Raquel M. N. d. S. Garcia
Nuno Miguel Costa Martins
Rui Miguel Batista Bicho
The Oenology Laboratory at the MED provides services for grape ripening tests, wine and other byproducts analysis.
1 - EnologyThe Enology Laboratory develops research in the field of wine characterization and the impact of agronomic and technological practices on wine characteristics, focusing on the analysis of volatile compounds, phenolic compounds and amino acids. In this context, the research carried out here contributes to the Viticulture and Oenology thematic line.
2 - Olive oilAnother research line has olive oil as its study object. Research is carried out on olive oil composition with a focus on its volatile composition, and on the development of analytical tools for pesticide analysis. In this context, the research here contributes to the Olive Grove and Olive Oil thematic line.
Doctoral theses anchored in this laboratory
- Comprehensive study of varietal wines from Alentejo, for robust practices towards climate change. Catarina Pereira (Bolsa FCT 2021.07306.BD). PhD in Food Science. Universidade de Évora.
- Chemometric investigation of the volatile content of young varietal wines from Alentejo. Sousa Gastão Muchecha (Bolsa CECA 2ª Edição) PhD in Food Science. Universidade de Évora.
- Understanding the need of SO2 in wine according to wine grape varieties. Cátia Vanessa de Almeida Santos (Bolsa FCT PD/BD/135081/2017). Programa Doutoral em Química Sustentável. Universidade Nova de Lisboa. (2018-2022)
- Análise vestigial de pesticidas em azeite: aplicação de polímeros molecularmente impressos. Nuno Martins. PhD in Agricultural Sciences, Universidade de Évora. (2011 - 2016)
Doctoral theses partially developed in this laboratory
- Phthalates, a danger in food: new analytical approaches for risk assessments. Flávia Sofia Salgado de Freita (Bolsa FCT 2020.08089.BD). PhD in Food Science. Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Study of Portuguese extra virgin olive oils according to the producing agricultural method: a qualitative and ecological approach. Miguel Ferro (Bolsa FCT SFRH/BD/140083/2018). PhD in Mediterranean Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. Universidade de Évora.
- Characterization and Monitorization of Ageing Markers for Sparkling Wines. A world still to unveil. Sara Sofia Timóteo Pinheiro (Bolsa 2022.13065.BDANA). PhD in Sustainable chemistry, Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Evaluation of the potential use of alternative flours to traditional ones in bakery and in the production of processed foods in São Tomé and Príncipe. Anisio Patricio Quintas (Bolsa CECA 2ª Edição). PhD in Food Science. Universidade de Évora.
In the Laboratory of Oenology, 1st and 2nd cycle classes are held related to wine technology and sensory analysis.
Degree in Enology: Enology I (Enol I), Enology II (Enol II), Enology III (Enol III), Sensory Analysis (AS) and Analytical Quality Control (CAQ)
Degrees in Agronomy and Biotechnology: Wine and Olive Oil Technology (TVA)
Master in Viticulture and Enology: Quality Control and Sensory Analysis (CQAS)
2022 - Vine and Wine Portugal – Driving Sustainable Growth Through Smart Innovation - Driving Sustainable Growth through Smart Innovation in the Vine and Wine sector. PRR, Mobilizing Agendas for Business Innovation
- B2.1.1 BioGrapeSustain – Use of grapevine and microbiome diversity for sustainable production
- B2.4.2 MiKS4 Vine - New Products/formulations to promote a vine more resilience to climatic changes
- B1.6.2 SOLVIT - Solutions to restore degraded Soils in Mediterranean vineyards via Organic muLch and biochar derived from VITiculture industry waste
2020 - MIP2Sensors- From Molecularly Imprinted Polymers to MIP-based optical sensors: a "light-up" tool for the analysis of pesticide residues in olive oil. PTDC/ASP-AGR/30097/2017.
2016-2019 - MedOOmics - Mediterranean Extra Virgin Olive Oil Omics: profiling and fingerprinting. ARIMNet2
2016-2019 - Por3O - Portuguese Olive Oil Omics for traceability and authenticity. PTDC/AGRPRO/2003/2014
2012-2015 - Solid-phase extraction with molecularly imprinted polymers: A highly selective and promising approach for trace analysis of pesticides in olive oil. PTDC/AGR-ALI/117544/2010
2016-2017 - Development of a Sustainability Plan for Alentejo Wines. ALT20-01-0853-FEDER-000013.
2005-2008 - Sensory and chemical characterization of the impact of malolactic fermentation in wines. POCI/AGR 55432/2004
2005-2008 - Yeasts producing volatile phenols. A major concern in the wine industry that needs to be understood. POCI/AGR 56771/2004
1997-1999 - Trace analysis of quality wines from the Alentejo region - Praxis XXI – measure 3.2
1997-1999 - Characterization of Alentejo elementary wines - PAMAF 6007
- Liquid chromatograph with FLD and PDA detector and autosampler from Waters Alliance
- Waters™ e2695 Separations Module
- Waters 2998 Photodiode Array Detector
- Waters 2475 Multiwavelength Fluorescence Detector
- Gas chromatograph with flame ionization detector from Agilent
- HP 6890 series GC system
- Agilent 7683 injector
- Gas Chromatograph coupled to time-of-flight mass spectrometer from Agilent Technologies and Markes International
- Agilent GC 8890 with slit/slitless injector
- CTC PAL3 RSI autosampler with modules for liquid samples and SPME with agitation and incubatio
- Markes BenchTOF-Select with Select-eV Tandem Ionisation technology